We watch the water.|
Welcome to our reading room, or rather, rooms. Although we keep some documents on our site, such as our newsletter archives, brochure, and some of our legal documents (see below), the most important function of our reading room is to let people know where to look for information, whether that's on our site, on the web (don't miss this), or in print. Please don't hesitate to browse the other two parts of our reading room--"related links and web documents" and "recommended books and films"-- by clicking on the links in the second line of our menu above. If there's something you can't find on one of our three reading room pages that you think ought to be there, please tell us about it.
- Rainshadow archives (OVC print newsletters from 2005 to present)
- OVC groundwater brochure
- Legal documents and water policy comments
- Lower Owens River Project (*Also see our LORP page.):
- LORP-MOU compliance lawsuit and supplementary documents. This lawsuit concerns the Lower Owens River Project (LORP) Ecosystem Management Plan and whether or not it complies with the provisions of the 1997 Memorandum of Understanding, especially with respect to monitoring and adaptive management of the lower Owens River. Final court briefs in this case were filed in June 2009, and a hearing is scheduled for Inyo County Superior Court in Independence July 29 at 9:30 a.m. (See September 2008 petition for injunctive relief at top of list below for more information about this lawsuit.):
- Judge's June 2005 Statement of
Decision regarding delay in rewatering Lower Owens River
- January 2005 petition for injunctive relief: delay in rewatering of Lower Owens River
- 2001 lawsuit against LADWP: failure to
prepare LORP DEIR
- (*Also see our Blackrock page.)
- Petition for a Writ of Mandate against the Calfornia Department of Fish and Game challenging the adequacy of DFG's Hatchery and Stocking Program EIR.
- Written comments regarding Blackrock submitted by the Bristlecone
CNPS (cover letter) and Daniel Pritchett, CNPS conservation chair
(comments and footnotes), to the Inyo-Los Angeles
Standing Committee at the July 9, 2007 meeting.
- Coso Operating Company Hay Ranch Water Extraction and Delivery System documents (*See our Coso page for recent updates)
- See downloadable sections of the FEIR for the project on the web here
- Download the Inyo County Water Commissioners' conclusions regarding the project here
- Download comments on the project by Little Lake Ranch attorney Gary Arnold to the Inyo Board of Supervisors here (04/10/09), Inyo County Planning Commissioners here (March 4, 2009 letter to Inyo County Planning Commission), comments to Randy H. Keller, Assistant County Counsel for Inyo County, here (03/04/2009), and letters to the Inyo County Water Commission here (01/07/09) and here (01/15/09)
- See comments on the project from Dr. Sally Manning, who has studied Owens Valley ecosystems for more than 20 years, here.
- See a discussion of air cooling towers, an alternative with fewer impacts than pumping and exporting groundwater that Coso geothermal power plant managers could consider more thoroughly, here.
- See Inyo County Planning Department links to documents regarding the project here.
- See comments on the project from hydrologist Andy Zdon here (01/09/09) and here (01/14/09).